Tonis

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Deep Thoughts...not by Jack Handy.

Hey Everyone! Well, it's been a few days since my last blog. Well, maybe it was only a couple but it seems like forever since I've written. I'm working for the Admissions department here at school for the summer until I resume as Residence Director in the middle of August. So far, it's been a little slow. Not much to do yet but I know that things will pick up probably more once July hits. I am excited for some of the things that are coming up and yet I know that it will be a challenge for me in certain areas. I am by no means a public speaker and my job may require me to speak infront of people or as I'm interacting with prospect students and thier parents to think on the spot and think of something great to say about my school. Which shouldn't be hard because I do love this school, but it's really hard for me to think on the spot. But, so far, I've had to work at YC and I recently went to Athabasca to visit a school which both events have given me much practice and chances to learn from the ones that have been doing this for a while.

As part of our jobs, we've been meeting with youth pastors in Edmonton to find ways that we as a school can best serve our local youth groups. One of the youth pastors brought up something that not only will we strive to achieve in our jobs but also for me personally. He said, "The best thing that I think you can do for the youth groups and your students is to just be yourself." To just stay true to our mission and all of our events and planning that we do should be based on that. And I thought, "Wow." He has a point. (By the way I work for Taylor Univeristy College and Seminary and our mission statement is, "to develop Christ-minded leaders who make a difference in the world.") Here we are trying to plan things that will best attract young students and make them want to come to Taylor. But, it's more than that. It's more than just recruiting students to increase our numbers. It's about providing as much opportunity as we can to equip students to furthering the kingdom of God. It hit me that we have such an incredible opportunity!

As I pondered on this more, I realized too that this is true for my own life. I try so hard to what I and society consider to be "normal" just so that I can be accepted. I've been trying so hard that my apartment has become so cluttered with material things that are nonsense. I excercise and count my calories like crazy so that I can get back to my original size. My mind is so overwhelmed with thoughts of, "must do this..", "must do that..", "must have this" and "I gotta have that". Man! I overwhelm myself so much! I'm getting tired of myself! But what that one youth pastor said really spoke to me. Just be me. I know I'm not the only that goes through this. I know that there are many of us that struggle with the same thing in various ways and degrees.

I started reading this book called Love to Eat, Hate to Eat. Don't ask me who wrote it because I couldn't tell ya. Anyways, it's a book that I bought a long time ago but never picked it up to read until just the other day. And honestly, I've only read the introduction. But it had some good points already. Basically, it says that no matter what we do to try and fix our lives, it really only begins on the inside. It's a message that is often in books that I tend to pick up so obviously, I think God is trying to tell me something here. It's funny cuz I know it in my head that real change can ony happen from the inside out, but it's hard to make it transfer from my head to my heart and actually want it. I almost feel like I'm unsure how to begin and I wonder what does "surrender" really look like? I'm not sure I know. And what does "just being me" look like too? It's so crazy and overwhelming in itself.

Well, thanks for reading my blog. I don't expect any huge answers from you, but I would appreciate your prayers.

Have a lovely day, y'all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home